Friday, January 7, 2011

Kikaider Figure (Popy, 1970s)

A few years ago, I got into Japanese vinyl toys in a big way. I was specifically drawn to the character Kikaider, a cyborg super hero who liked to strum the guitar when he wasn't using karate to beat the hell out of a variety of weird, mutant monsters. He starred in his own show in the Seventies, and the episodes I've seen here in the States are a lot of fun.

I had a pretty good collection of vinyl Kikaider figures going, but I ultimately decided, for a variety of reasons, to divest myself of my vinyl collection. I never regretted it -- the money bought me a couple amazing vintage robots ray guns -- but I always did wish I'd hung on to a few of the Kikaiders.




I most missed this odd version made by Popy, at the time a division of Bandai in Japan. So when one popped up not too long ago on eBay, I had to bid. Toy Karma was on my side, and I was able to return the figure to my collection.

I love the transparent -- okay, translucent with age -- vinyl, and all the cardboard inserts. Look, technology! Sort of!



The tinsel in the head is great, too. It makes absolutely no sense, but it looks so awesome. Vibrant, shiny colors are never wrong.



I don't feel much need to get any of the other Kikaiders in my past collection. I mean, okay, there's a little itch in the back of my head -- I am a collector, after all -- but I'm pretty cool with just this guy. He's not the rarest, but I always considered him the jewel of my collection on account of how fun he looks. I was definitely grinning when I opened the package the day he arrived.

I actually won the baggy, header card, and insert with this toy as well, but stupid me, I forgot to take photos. If I get around to it, I'll update this post. The artwork's not too complicated, but it's still really neat.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok this figure just looks all sorts of awesome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...